Monday, May 19, 2008

Clothing

I remember being in the 6th or 7th grade endlessly begging my mother to buy me a specific name brand shirt. All the popular girls in my school wore them. My mom went out and bought the same style shirt but not a name brand.

She gave it to me on Christmas and selfishly, I cried and cried. When I explained to her about the brand name and how important it was to me, she said that she never saw the need for name brands. She felt as though you were paying more for an item with someones name on it. They should be paying you for being a walking advertisement, she said.

After much arguing, I finally wore the shirt to school. In 2nd period some popular girls encircled me and lifted my hair to see if my shirt was "real". When they saw that there was no logo they laughed and laughed.

I remember being mortified. I never told my mom, but the incident has stuck in my mind to this day. While my budget never afforded name brand or what I consider now luxury brand items, I spent many years squandering my earnings on name brand cosmetics, clothing, shoes and accessories.

Now, I look back at my designer shopping and brand envy days and regret every minute. When I see sports and other stars gaining riches off being "walking advertisements" the appreciation for my mother's words has come full circle.

Now I have a daughter. As she grows I will try to instill the values my mother tried to instill in me. Will she be strong enough to hang on to those values if she is humiliated, as I was? Will I? Time will tell.

I still get a twinge of designer envy now and then but I center myself by focusing on value and quality. Hey, if I get a GREAT deal on a QUALITY designer product - great. If not, OH WELL!

No comments:

Previous Posts